Sunday 9 September 2007

Is the first opinion always the right opinion?

A few months back I met a girl, almost 4 years younger than me, studying in an Intermediate college in my college campus. She was scared of crossing the road. I was anyway crossing the road and it wasn’t a problem helping her out. When we entered our campus, I spoke to her for a while and at the end of the small talk, she thanked me and complimented me.

Well, that put me to thinking. Was the first impression so important? I hardly knew the girl, and there I am saying ‘thank you’s to her compliments! Just by a small gesture, can you tag a person to be good or bad? There are n number of people out there, just waiting to please the whole world! I read a saying sometime back that goes as “I don’t know the sure way to success, but the surest way to failure is to try to make everyone happy!” Again, this is one of my pet quotes. Indeed, you can’t make everyone happy! A few will find you arrogant, another few may be jealous and a few more may be indifferent to you. It’s part of being human!

Many people might mistake a pretty face or a sweet talking conceited person to be good or misjudge a very good person to be haughty or arrogant just because he/she didn’t speak to them! But, thankfully, illusions don’t last forever. We do wake up some day and realize that we had erred! It is very commonplace that people form an imaginary description of a person or pass a judgment just in one meeting or even a look! That’s ridiculous! How can a person be judged by just looking at him/her or for that matter in the fist meeting! Look at online friendship portals. You get impressed by someone’s profile and look no further! In actuality, more often that not, you’re shocked by their true revelation! It is a pity… Do give this a thought the next time you frame an imaginary picture of a person’s character in your mind…

No comments:

Post a Comment